Thursday, October 05, 2006
EMPLOYMENT: Sr. Researcher, Economic and Ecological Restructuring of Land and Water Use in the Region Khorezm (Uzbekistan), ZEF
The Department of Economic and Technological Change (ZEFb) of the Center for Development Research, University of Bonn invites applications for the position of SENIOR RESEARCHER commencing January, 2007 for 3 years The successful applicant is expected to work in the interdisciplinary research project "Economic and Ecological Restructuring of Land and Water Use in the Region Khorezm (Uzbekistan): A Pilot Project in Development Research" and will meet the following requirements:
- an excellent university degree (PhD) in agricultural economics, resource economics or closely-related field
- strong expertise in quantitative analysis; especially of agricultural production systems
- an understanding of the particularities of agricultural production systems and related politics in countries of the Former Soviet Union would be desirable
- an ability for policy analysis
- excellent writing and other communication skills Fluency in English ismandatory.
- Russian or Uzbek language skills would be an advantage.
Most quantitative simulation models developed within the project are implemented with the General Algebraic Modeling System (GAMS). Proficiency in this software is therefore most desirable.
The successful candidate will
- cooperate with an interdisciplinary research team in developing an integrated farm-level simulation model
- carry out agro-economic policy analysis in Khorezm, Uzbekistan
- take a leadership role in the development and implementation of a quantitative policy information system for the economy of Khorezm, Uzbekistan
- contribute to the compilation of a complete and consistent database for Khorezm and Uzbekistan based on official statistics and own field surveys
- publish papers in peer reviewed journals
- support doctoral and master students from Uzbekistan
- cooperate with research partners from various disciplines at Urgench State University and the University of Bonn
- give lectures and seminars at the Economic Faculty of Urgench State University and courses in the disciplinary part of the doctoral program of ZEF
Interested persons are invited to apply before 31 December, shortly after which interviews will be held. Applications should be sent to PD Dr. Christopher Martius, Center for Development Research, ZEF c, Walter-Flex-Str. 3, 53113 Bonn, and should include a CV, list of publications, copies of diplomas and all other relevant documentation, names and addresses of three referees, an explanation of the interest in the position, and a 2-page description of the own research interest and how it will be integrated in the Khorezm project project. For more information please contact mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org or mailto:email@example.com.
The salary is commensurate with the position and corresponds to the German salary level TV-L13. The senior researcher will be based in the ZEF office in Bonn, Germany, but frequent travel to Uzbekistan is required. The project offers excellent logistic research support and comfortable housing facilities (guesthouse) in Urgench, Khorezm, Uzbekistan.
Links to this post: