Friday, November 17, 2006
EMPLOYMENT: WaterNet Research Leader (SADC)
WaterNet is a regional network for capacity building in integrated water resources management (IWRM) in Southern Africa, with a membership of 48 university departments and research institutions in fourteen countries. WaterNet facilitates a number of projects to build capacity of professionals to conduct water related research and to train and educate practicing water sector professionals in southern Africa. On one of its research projects entitled “The Challenge of Integrated Water Resource Management for Improved Rural Livelihoods: Managing Risk, Mitigating Drought and Improving Water Productivity in the Water Scarce Limpopo Basin” also referred to as CP-PN17 has now taken off in all of the four countries involved, namely, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa and Zimbabwe and requires strategic leadership support. In addition, there are a number of initiatives that require a senior person to work with the WaterNet Manager. WaterNet wishes to recruit a Research Leader, reporting to the WaterNet Manager, with two key result areas: providing leadership to the CP-PN17 project and working with the WaterNet Manager. The job description includes: Within the Key Result Area of Project Leadership:
- Maintain effective communication with the global Challenge Program on Water and Food (CPW&F)
- Management Team, in order to ensure smooth transactions and coordination and to solve any issues that may arise.
- Provide a link with the CPW&F scientific management.
- Provide overall supervision, guidance to the CP-PN17 Research Coordinator, support and mentoring to increase the effectiveness of project administration and coordination.
- Provide leadership on social, institutional and policy research.
- Advise the WaterNet Manager on any strategic management or substantive issues where a policy decision is required.
- Carry out similar duties under certain new initiatives or projects that may be developed.
Within the Key Result Area of Working with the WaterNet Manager:
- Provide technical and management assistance to the WaterNet Manager.
- Develop and maintain a system to ensure institutional memory of all WaterNet activities.
- Assist the WaterNet Manager on project proposal development and submission.
The suitable candidate shall have a good background in the water sector, hold at least a Masters Degree and proven track record of research in a water-related field and have experience in project leadership, research and training (professional or academic). Experience in social and institutional sciences, and skills to lead multidisciplinary and multi-institutional research projects offer a distinct advantage. Applicants should be Southern African Development Community (SADC) nationals.
The position will be open as of January 2007, and will be based in Harare, Zimbabwe. A competitive and negotiable international package is offered. Appointment will be for two years full-time, renewable subject to satisfactory performance. Suitable candidates are invited to submit an application letter, including motivation, curriculum vitae and the names and contact details of three referees by 8 December 2006, to: WaterNet Secretariat, PO Box MP 600, Mount Pleasant, Harare, Zimbabwe. Please also submit the letter and c.v. in electronic form by e-mail to: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org. For further inquiries, please contact the WaterNet Manager, Dr. Bekithemba Gumbo, phone +263 4 336725, mailto:email@example.com.