Friday, July 09, 2010
EMPLOYMENT: Consultancy -- Land Tenure Security & Food Security (ILC)
In April 2010, the ILC secretariat developed a paper entitled Links between Land Tenure Security and Food Security, as a contribution to the Updating of the High Level task Force’s Comprehensive Framework for Action. This document was based on a consultation with members, the outcomes of which were systematised into 12 ‘principles’ linking land tenure security and food security. This provided a valuable analysis of the statements and experiences of ILC members whose work has given them insights in this regard.
The ILC secretariat intends to use this document, and the outcomes of the consultation, as a base for further analysis of evidence from the field on the links between food security and tenure security over land and natural resources. These TORs outline the tasks and outputs of two consultants who will develop this product.
Duties and responsibilities of external consultant (to be identified)
Under the direction of the Programme Manager Global Policy of the ILC secretariat, and with the support of Mr Miggiano, existing consultant in the ILC secretariat, the external consultant will be responsible to:
- Develop an analytical framework for further analysis of the links between tenure and food security;
- Deepen the level of analysis by paying particular attention to women, as well as to other sections of society for whom the links between tenure and food security may be different or nuanced;
- Link findings with wider literature on tenure and food security;
- Identify areas for further consultation with specific ILC members, in particular related to documenting case studies or providing evidence for particular arguments made in the paper, and draw upon case studies from ILC members and partners to inform the analysis;
- Add to and modify the sections of the existing paper to extend the analysis and refer to field-based knowledge;
- Produce a related policy brief
Outputs will be produced in English. Consultant’s ability to read in Spanish and French is desirable.
The consultant will be supported by the ILC secretariat, who will:
- Consult particular ILC members further in order to answer specific questions posed by the external consultant;
- Under the guidance of the consultant, develop a number of case studies for use in the final report;
- Facilitate a review of the final draft of the paper by selected ILC members and experts
The primary output of this consultancy will be a report of 30-40 pages on Linking land tenure security and food security, which:
- Builds from inputs already received from members and the paper prepared by the ILC secretariat;
- Documents further evidence and case studies for the arguments it proposes;
- Links experiences of ILC members with existing literature so as to take forward the analysis and develop new insights and understandings of the links;
- Provides a robust analytical framework and opens up new questions that could guide ILC work on linking tenure security and food security in the future
The secondary output will be a 3 page policy brief that clearly and succinctly communicates the key policy messages relevant to governments, development partners and civil society organisations.
The final products will be submitted by 15th September 2010.
Consultants wishing to be considered for this work should send their CV and a letter of motivation to l.miggiano[at]landcoalition.org indicating their availability over the period August - October 2010.
Deadline: by July 23, 2010