Thursday, October 21, 2010
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: Doctoral Research in Agricultural Transformation by Innovation
The call for applications for doctoral research under the AgTraIn (Agricultural Transformation by Innovation) programme has opened. The research topics for this year are:
- Analysis and modeling of interactions between small-scale dairy farmers and dairy processors in an Andean valley (Mantaro, Peru)
- Assessing and exploiting the biocontrol potential of contrasting landscapes for ecologically sound production chains.
- Biogas digestate recycling as crop fertilizer - impacts on crop production, livelihood and environment quality.
- Cassava virus pandemic in East/Central Africa and the role of vector insects.
- Dynamics of multi-stakeholder innovation processes.
- Effects of irrigation and fertilization strategies on water and nutrients use efficiency and carbon retention in the soil-plant system.
- Environmental efficiencies and controversies: Yield intensification in oil palm production systems of South-east Asia.
- Exploring multi-scale synergies and trade-offs among productivity, biodiversity conservation and ecosystem services in agroforestry systems.
- For a sustainable family agriculture in the former homelands of South Africa: What are the perspectives through eco-agriculture?
- Highland banana in Ugandan Farming Systems - Opportunities for Ecological Intensification. Recognizing the capacity of farmers to innovate in the face of local and global environmental risks.
- Integration of youth into African smallholding agriculture: challenges, impact and prospects of changing conditions.
- Potential of carbon sequestering landscapes as climate change mitigation and productivity enhancing intervention.
- Potential of household farming systems to improve family food security in the high Andean regions.
- Recognizing the capacity of farmers to innovate in the face of local and global environment risks.
- Recycling of urban solid wastes for local production of vegetables.
- Role of Local Knowledge in multi-stakeholder innovation processes.
- Modeling interactions between water management, farm management and agri-food supply chains management at scheme level. Case study in Morocco.
- The economic and social impacts of microfinance services in agribusiness development for small and medium-sized enterprise in developing economies.
- The potential of Producers Organisations to ensure sustainable and equitable coffee production.
- Unlacing creativity for agribusiness development: designing, testing and evaluating soft technologies for Small and Medium-sized enterprise innovation in developing economies.
- Plant secondary compounds in small ruminant feeding: an alternative to drugs for improving animal metabolic state and product quality in low input farming systems.
- Agrobusiness incubators for development.
More information about the research topics and the application procedures and details about
eligibility available here.
Deadline: November 22, 2010