Wednesday, March 30, 2011
ONLINE RESOURCE: Training Kit on Participatory Spatial Information Management and Communication (English & Spanish)
In response to constraints to the spread of participatory geographical information systems articulated at the 2005 conference on Mapping for Change, the EU-ACP Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation (CTA) conceived this Training Kit in partnership with the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD).
The English and Spanish versions of the Training Kit were produced over a period of two and a half years (2008-2010) with the contributions of more than 40 international specialists representing civil society and academic and development agencies from across the globe.
The Training Kit has been developed with the objective "to support the spread of 'good practice' in generating, managing, analysing and communicating community spatial information".
Widespread use of the Training Kit, available online and on DVD, is expected to:
- ensure that indigenous and marginalised communities participate in documenting, representing and communicating their spatial knowledge and land-related issues, while taking control over the processes involved. This would:
- add value and authority to local knowledge;
- facilitate intergenerational knowledge exchange;
- build and support cohesive community identities;
- support sustainable planning through collaborative decision making.
Links to this post: