Monday, April 18, 2011
CALL FOR PAPERS: Natural Resources Forum Special Issue on Institutions for Sustainable Development
Natural Resources Forum, a United Nations Sustainable Development Journal, a quarterly journal issued by the Division for Sustainable Development of the United Nations calls for papers for a special issue on institutional framework for sustainable development, to be published in 2012.
This special issue seeks to take stock on progress made since the Earth Summit in 1992 in the area of institutions for sustainable development at all levels. It looks as well to provide a view of the obstacles and bottlenecks to the further implementation of sustainable development principles or tools. Among others, angles of interest can include:
- Issues with the vertical integration of sustainable development decisions, commitments and policies across different spatial scales (from the multilateral level to the local level), and role of specific instruments in enhancing such integration (e.g. ISO 26,000);
- Evaluation of the state of implementation of specific Rio Principles, including conflicts with other principles or institutional practices and recommendations for further progress;
- Integration of sustainable development paradigm, principles (e.g. integrated perspective, Rio principles) and concepts (e.g. public participation, institutional coordination, disclosure of information, gender equality) in sectoral and economy-wide strategies, plans and policies at the regional and national level ; assessment of the integration in decision-making and at the implementation level, in relation to specific institutional setups and governance structures;
- Evaluation of policy review mechanisms (e.g. WTO, ILO, NEPAD, NSDS) and how they could be used to promote better integration of sustainable development in national policy documents;
- Assessment of international and national level monitoring systems in support of sustainable development: technical, institutional gaps and possibilities for improvement
- Assessment of the impacts of multilateral financing institutions and donors’ institutions and delivery mechanisms on the take-up of sustainable development considerations in strategic plans and investments in developing countries;
- Evaluation of local experiences in practical implementation of sustainable development principles (e.g. participatory budgets, local Agenda 21);
- Assessment of the role of international standards and voluntary practices (e.g. CSR, environmental reporting, fair trade) on sustainability.
Articles should contain original material and should be between 6,000 and 8,000 words in length. Contributions to the journal are accepted at the NRFs manuscript submission site at http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/nrf. Questions and comments can be addressed to: Natural Resources Forum A United Nations Sustainable Development Journal. e-mail: NRFORUM@un.org
Deadline: July 15, 2011