Tuesday, April 26, 2011
EMPLOYMENT: FAO Senior Officer, Agricultural Innovation and Society (GFAR)
Under the general supervision of the Executive Secretary, GFAR, the incumbent will lead the planning and implementation of programmes and policies under the GFAR strategic objective of transforming and strengthening agricultural research for development systems. This entails transforming the capacities and operational basis of agricultural research-for-development (AR4D) institutions and engaging civil society partners and the private sector more effectively with public-funded actors, for which the appointee will act as focal point in the GFAR Secretariat. In particular, will:
- Mobilize national and regional partners in mapping and engaging relevant civil society & private sector organizations around the world and explore how their role in research and innovation systems can be mobilized and strengthened at global and regional levels.
- Facilitate national and regional partners in increasing the relevance and demand-driven nature of innovation systems, institutions and agendas, including those in fragile states, towards social, economic livelihood and environmental development outcomes.
- Promote a stronger voice for civil society & private sector actors in discussion of issues raised around the future and role of AR4D at regional and global level and develop partnership actions to address these.
- Catalyse and learn from the effective integration of local innovation and farmer enterprise in transforming research and innovation systems and promote their active incorporation and dissemination, strengthening the role of innovation brokers in these relationships;
- Stimulate the development and promotion of new measures by which research can be monitored, evaluated and held accountable to partners and end users against development criteria;
- Facilitate actions to increase the value of agricultural research to women farmers and the opportunities for women in agricultural research-for-development careers;
- Catalyse actions among education institutions to help promote the value of agricultural careers and shape curricula and reward systems to attract young people into a wide range of AR4D careers;
- Advocate for increased resources for GFAR and its constituencies in support of these areas;
- Represent GFAR in international meetings;
- Perform other related duties as required.
Deadline: May 9, 2011