Wednesday, April 06, 2011
EMPLOYMENT: Postdoctoral Fellow – Water Management (AfricaRice)
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is seeking a highly qualified Postdoctoral fellow – Water Management to join its Sustainable Productivity Enhancement Program.
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is an association of 24 African member states and one of the 15 international Centers supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). The Center’s mission is to contribute to poverty alleviation and food security in Africa, through research, development and partnership activities aimed at increasing the productivity and profitability of the rice sector in ways that ensure the sustainability of the farming environment. The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) ex WARDA is temporarily headquartered in Cotonou, Benin.
The Postdoctoral Fellow will be stationed at AfricaRice’s temporary headquarters in Cotonou, Benin and will work under the supervision of the project coordinator of the SMART-IV project. The Postdoctoral fellow will:
- Lead the hydrology and water management section of the SMART-IV project in collaboration with partners from national and international universities and research systems;
- Investigate the impact of large scale development of Sawah rice-based systems on the basin hydrology and nutrient cycles using spatial hydrological modelling;
- Design and supervise sampling campaigns to calibrate hydrological models at catchment level under data-scarce conditions;
- Set-up, supervise and evaluate field experiments to assess the water and nutrient balance in Sawah and traditionally irrigated fields;
- Undertake scientific analysis of qualitative and quantitative data, and other processes essential for publishing and reporting results or findings;
- Publish and communicate research results in peer-reviewed journals, policy briefs, general interest outlets, and the media;
- Support and contribute to training of MSc and PhD students and supervise support staff;
- Provide support and advice to other AfricaRice project where irrigation and water management issues are relevant.
Deadline: April 30, 2011
Links to this post: