Thursday, July 14, 2011
EMPLOYMENT: Post-Doctoral Social Anthropologist, CGIAR Challenge Program on Water and Food
Working closely with the Challenge Program on Water and Food (CPWF) Volta Basin Leader, the Post-Doctoral Social Anthropologist will provide social science perspectives, methodologies and analysis to the coordination and change project of the Volta Basin Development Challenge (VBDC) Program.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design and conduct social process research in the context of the VBDC in Burkina Faso and Ghana and provide social science perspectives and analysis to the VBDC projects
- Evaluate the whole spectrum of research and change processes within the BDC for up/out scaling
- Analyze progress along VBDC outcome pathways to test the hypotheses on which they are built so as to provide regular corrective feedback to VBDC projects to enhance the achievement of the overall basin research goal.
- Ensure that the monitoring, documentation and hypothesis testing highlighted above is carried out as part of VBDC’s M&E and adaptive management system
- Link up with the Coordination and Change projects in Limpopo and Nile basins for possible comparative analysis (i.e. by conducting ethnographic investigation of the activities in partnership with the VBDC projects) and contribute to the CPWF Learning to innovate (L2i) Topic Working Group
- Document and publish results of these processes in international peer-reviewed journals and at other suitable fora and outlets
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- A Doctoral level degree in social anthropology, sociology, development studies or a related discipline and significant experience in, and conceptual understanding of innovation processes and related research elements, with a special focus on sub Saharan Africa.
- At least 2 years of progressively responsible experience especially in an international program with research experience in water/land or natural resources management in developing countries;
- Good understanding of issues related to: food and water research for development,
- Good understanding of innovation processes and link to food security, livelihood and the environment
- Formal training or practical experience in social-anthropological tools and approaches for innovation research is essential
- Familiarity with social science issues and methods related to agricultural water use in developing countries; competence in the application of social statistical methods.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to document complex analyses in a simple actionable manner.
- Proven track record of publications in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Fluency in English and French languages
Additional skill required:
- Knowledge of existing bureaucratic structures, legal regulations, and inter-sectoral relationships of relevant ministries and government agencies in Burkina Faso and Ghana
- Experience living and working in developing countries, especially Africa
Interested candidates should submit application (in English) to the address below by August 15.
Volta Basin Authority (VBA)
10 BP 13621 Ouagadougou 10
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Tel/Fax: +226 50374696
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Deadline: August 15, 2011
Links to this post: