Wednesday, January 25, 2012
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: UNU-INRA Visiting Scholars Program 2012
The United Nations University Institute for Natural Resources in Africa (UNU-INRA) wishes to provide qualified scholars an opportunity to undertake research on topics related to the development and management of natural resources in Africa, to participate in UNU-INRA activities, and to contribute to UNU-INRA publications. The program is also designed to enhance the dissemination of UNU-INRA research and to contribute to the UNU-INRA’s outreach program. The program will NOT support any field work aimed at collecting data. It is suitable for researchers who have data available and need workstation facilities and financial support to analyze and publish the results of their research.
UNU-INRA’s work focuses on sustainable management of Africa’s natural resources. Specifically, the Strategic Plan 2011–2014 identifies three (3) program areas:
- Harnessing land and water resources for efficient and sustainable use;
- Promoting conservation and developing a green economy; and
- Governing and managing the extractive industries.
The 2012 VSP will focus on theme 2: Promoting conservation and developing a green economy.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit proposals that address this theme. Details about this program area can be found in the UNU-INRA Strategic Plan 2011- 2014 and the flyer of the Africa Green Economy Initiative, which can be both downloaded from the publication section of the Institute’s website. Female scholars from Africa and abroad are highly encouraged to apply.
Successful applicants are expected to:
- have a PhD degree in agricultural science, economics, agricultural economics, natural resource economics, social science, environmental science, international relations, law or related discipline;
- have a good publication record;
- spend a minimum of three (3) months at UNU-INRA in Accra (applicants should indicate in their application when they are able to come to UNU-INRA);
- interact with the staff at UNU-INRA;
- present a minimum of two (2) seminars on their research;
- prepare one or more papers to be considered for publication in the UNU-INRA Research Paper series; and
- undertake other duties that may be assigned by the Director.
UNU-INRA will provide a monthly stipend of $US1,500 as a contribution towards travel, accommodation, medical, and other out-of-pocket expenses.
There is no standard application form. Those interested in this program should submit:
- a written letter of application which includes the preferred period for the sabbatical;
- a research proposal not to exceed 20 pages (double-spaced);
- a detailed curriculum vitae, including contact details and a list of publications; and
- a letter of support from the candidate’s institution of affiliation.
Applications should be submitted electronically by March 15th, 2012 to: email@example.com and copied to firstname.lastname@example.org (applications will not be assessed until after the closing date) or by regular mail to the following address:
Deadline: March 15, 2012
Links to this post: