Monday, June 11, 2012
EMPLOYMENT: ICARDA Senior Irrigation and Water Management Specialist
The main purpose of the position is to lead the International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) research and capacity development work on full and supplemental irrigation and water harvesting in the Dry Areas.
ICARDA is an international autonomous, non-profit, research center based in Aleppo, Syria, supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). We are committed to the improvement of livelihoods of the resource-poor in dry areas by enhancing food security and alleviating poverty through agricultural research, and the equitable use and conservation of natural resources.
- Promote efficient, productive and sustainable use of scarce water resources in irrigated, rainfed and rangelands agroecosystems.
- Develop strategies, methodologies and technologies that can be adapted and adopted by the farmers in the dry areas.
- Conduct research to promote the optimal use of water resources in supplemental irrigation and in water harvesting systems.
- Develop viable options for improved irrigated agricultural systems to sustainably maximize water productivity.
- Contribute to enhancement of the human capacity of NARS associated with water and irrigation management.
- Contribute to a larger group of experts focusing on areas of agronomy, soils, hydrology, germplasm and marginal-quality water by interacting closely with teams of scientists based at ICARDA, NARS and other centers of the CGIAR.
- Contribute to the fund raising and public awareness activities of the Center by developing research proposals and public awareness materials.
Deadline: June 30, 2012