Thursday, July 05, 2012
PUBLICATION: ILC Briefing Note on Women's Legal Empowerment: Lessons Learned from Community-Based Activities
The briefing note captures lessons learned from five community-based projects promoting the legal empowerment of rural women. The note elaborates on the following lessons:
- Never underestimate women’s enthusiasm to learn!
- Prioritise capacity building targeted at women
- Recognise the importance of accessible information
- Pay attention to perceptions of gender equality
- Address different levels appropriately
- Be aware of the role that CSOs can play
- Follow through to move from empowerment toward emancipation
- Encourage horizontal learning and collective action
- Bear in mind the complexity of land tenure security
The briefing note is available here in English, French and Spanish.