Thursday, September 13, 2012
PUBLICATION: Sustainable Community Forest Management
TFT has released a Community Forest Handbook, which it describes as “a practical guide to FSC group certification for smallholder agroforests”.
With an estimated 558 million people managing 1 billion hectares of agroforests worldwide, TFT’s new guide to working with smallholder agroforest managers is aimed at empowering communities to successfully launch sustainable forest businesses.
Simply written, with multiple illustration and graphics, the handbook is a comprehensive guide for non-profits, businesses, government agencies and community organizations who want to develop a FSC group certificate for smallholder agroforests. The handbook includes:
- step-by-step guidance for many of the most common challenges smallholders face in developing a wood business and becoming certified
- case studies, templates and simple tools and techniques that will be useful for readers who are just beginning a community agroforest program, or are in the early stages of development
- key questions to ask, and best practices for building long-term community agroforest program
- explanations of common technical forestry terms and easy to understand examples
- appendices with sample documents and links to additional resources on the web
The book is made up of six sections:
- Section 1: Introduction overview of group certification for smallholder agroforest communities, and an introduction to the Forest Stewardship Council
- Section 2: Getting Started guidance on defining group goals and objectives, assessing initial program needs and developing an action plan.
- Section 3: Group Management guidance on developing organization structure, how to develop group rules and procedures, and monitor membership.
- Section 4: Forest Management how to develop a forest management plan, and chain of custody systems that will meet FSC’s guidelines.
- Section 5: Business Management advice on budgeting, financial reporting and marketing strategies for a community forest enterprise.
- Section 6: FSC Assessment and Group Expansion overview of the FSC certification process, advice how to prepare for your first FSC audit, and tips for expanding your smallholder agroforest group.
The entire book and the individual sections are available for download here.
Links to this post: