Friday, October 19, 2012
EMPLOYMENT: ICRAF Agroforestry Systems Scientist (Vietnam-based)
ICRAF seeks to recruit a candidate for the position of Agroforestry Systems Scientist to be based in Vietnam. Under the supervision of the East Asia Node Coordinator and co-supervision of the Vietnam Country Coordinator, the incumbent will provide scientific leadership in agroforestry systems research to improve on-farm productivity of rural smallholder farmers in Southeast and East Asia, particularly the Greater Mekong Region (GMA). The candidate will also work closely with GRP leaders and ICRAF CRP Component leaders. The job specifically includes the following duties and responsibilities:
A. Agroforestry for Livelihoods of smallholder farmers in northern Vietnam (AFLI). Funded by the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR), AFLI covers three provinces in northwest Vietnam, and aims to develop best practices in agroforestry that provide both livelihood and environmental benefits. The incumbent will:
- Provide overall management of the AFLI project, ensuring effective implementation of project activities including donor reporting, enhancing partnerships, and ensuring work efficiency and quality;
- Provide scientific leadership in on-farm agroforestry research (Objective 1 of the AFLI Project) through working with local partners;
- Provide overall technical coordination, ensuring quality in the delivery of research outputs including scientific publications; and
- Provide scientific support to CRP6.1 research activities when called upon.
B. Consortium Research Project for the Humid Tropics (CRP 1.2). Coordinated by the ICRAF East Asia node, the main site of CRP 1.2 activities is in the Greater Mekong Region (GMR), covering Southern China, Vietnam, Lao PDR, Cambodia and Thailand. The duties and responsibilities of the incumbent include, among others:
- Programme management: develop and oversee individual work plans related to integrated systems for the humid tropic region of Mekong, in collaboration with national and regional teams under the supervision of the East Asia Node based in Kunming.
- Research and capacity building: based on identified research priorities, lead in regional and participate in global CRP1.2 integrated research and studies facilitate and/or provide support to targeted training programmes.
- Contribute to the design of a regional research network of Action Sites in collaboration with other CG Centres in Mekong Region.
- Synthesize and publish results in journal articles, assessment reports and policy briefs.
C. Undertake management and administrative duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Deadline: October 31, 2012
Links to this post: