Wednesday, October 10, 2012
EMPLOYMENT: International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme (IGBP) Deputy Director, Social Sciences
The International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme (IGBP) secretariat is seeking a deputy director, social sciences. IGBP is an international research programme with the vision to provide essential scientific leadership and knowledge of the Earth system to help guide society onto a sustainable pathway during rapid global change. The multidisciplinary network is composed of core projects, managed by small teams located in different countries around the world. The secretariat manages integration and synthesis across these projects and promotes integrated research outcomes. IGBP, in collaboration with partner global environmental change programmes, is undergoing a transition to a new international structure for sustainability research, Future Earth. IGBP is sponsored by the International Council for Science (ICSU).
The duties of the deputy director, social sciences include:
- advising and guiding IGBP and its projects on integrating cutting edge social-ecological research;
- supporting and engaging the IGBP research community in the transition to Future Earth;
- supporting the IGBP Scientific Committee;
- representing IGBP at meetings and international research activities; and advocating on its behalf;
- assisting the executive director in fundraising and guiding the work of the IGBP secretariat.
Deadline: October 22, 2012