Tuesday, December 11, 2012
CALL FOR PAPERS: MARE Conference 2013 - Maritime Futures
“Maritime Futures,” the central theme of the 7th MARE People and the Sea conference, addresses the opportunities and constraints for the development of maritime governance, knowledge production, maritime communities and maritime regions. As reflected in the conference themes, the aim of the 7th MARE conference is to explore new frontiers at sea and in coastal areas. The conference will take place in Amsterdam on June 26-28, 2013.
- Knowledge Production. This theme focuses on forms of knowledge production in different types of marine and coastal resource management. It explores the successes and failures of integrative approaches to knowledge production in marine and coastal resource management.
- Maritime Governance. This theme focuses on new frontiers of maritime governance, giving particular attention to aspects of negotiation, consensus building, and legitimacy in integrated maritime policies for regional seas and coastal areas.
- Maritime communities. This theme continues the long standing attention of the MARE conference series to maritime anthropology and the cultural meanings that people associate with the sea and the coastal zone.
- Maritime Regions. This theme focuses on The Arctic and the High Seas or Deep Seas as maritime regions where new conflicts between maritime activities are taking place and new spheres of authority are being negotiated.
- Coastal shocks, disasters and recovery. This theme focuses on the reactions of coastal and maritime systems to shocks and on strategies for dealing with sudden change.
- Fisher wellbeing, human rights, and shifting vulnerabilities - challenges and opportunities. This themeaddresses the challenges of poverty alleviation and the securing of human rights in a context of change.
Deadline: January 1, 2013