Thursday, February 14, 2013
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: Chairperson, the Global Forum on Agricultural Research
Nominations and applications are invited for the role of Chairperson, the Global Forum on Agricultural Research, for a 3‐Year period from April 2013.
This prestigious and influential role is open to all suitably qualified candidates from countries of the South, i.e. from developing countries.
The Global Forum on Agricultural Research (GFAR) is a unique, inclusive multi‐stakeholder forum, bringing together all those concerned with the future of agriculture and rural development to help strengthen and transform the roles played by agricultural knowledge, research and innovation in meeting key food security and development needs.
GFAR is a mechanism for change. Through the processes established in the Global Conference on Agricultural Research for Development (GCARD) Roadmap GFAR is catalyzing and facilitating change in agricultural research for development systems around the world, to increase their value and impact. The Forum works through a wide range of implementing bodies at national, regional and international levels and in public, private and civil sectors.
The successful applicant must be widely recognized as a leader and advocate, actively advancing agriculture within public, private or civil sectors at national/regional/global level, with demonstrated engagement with multiple stakeholders and a high profile in generating, supporting, transforming, adapting or using agricultural knowledge, research or innovation in support of development purposes. S/he must have an ability to recognize and value the perspectives of others and build operational consensus for collaborative actions. Women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
The Chairperson will perform the following functions:
- Chair all meetings of the GFAR Steering Committee (SC) and of the Global Conference on Agricultural Research for Development (GCARD)
- Report progress on implementation of the GCARD Roadmap at the GCARD.
- Provide overall leadership for GFAR and in particular the governance function, ensuring that the Steering Committee is adequately addressing its functions.
- Serve as an ex‐officio member of all standing committees of the SC.
- Provide leadership to the SC in determining and ensuring delivery against the policies under which the Executive Secretary operates, the Secretariat is managed and the medium term plan as well as the annual Programme of Work and budget are developed and effectively implemented
- The Chairperson is concerned with both internal and external GFAR matters. In internal matters he/she will interact closely with the Executive Secretary to monitor the development and implementation of GFAR programmes.
- In the external dimension, the Chairperson is expected to represent GFAR as appropriate. The Chairperson is also expected to assist in developing and maintaining relations with donors and with all GFAR constituencies, and in advocating for reform of agricultural research and knowledge use to enhance their development impact.
- Chair the GFAR Management Team
GFAR is presently undergoing a governance review and the Chairperson will be expected to lead implementation of the review findings, which may lead to change in some of the above functions.
The position is unpaid, but a small honorarium allowance is available in support of the role. It is anticipated that the role will require around 30 days of work per year.
Nominations or Applications with Curriculum Vitae should be submitted by 16 February 2013, to the Search Committee Chair, Ms Xiangjun Yao FAO, Viale delle Terme di Caracalla, 00153, Rome, Italy or sent by e‐mail to: (email@example.com). Recommendation letters are welcomed and should be attached for reference.
Deadline: February 16, 2013