Thursday, February 14, 2013
CALL FOR PAPERS: New Challenges for Community Forestry: Sharing Scientific Knowledge in a South-North Perspective
This conference will be held in Remscheid, Germany on September 23-25, 2013.
Background: Today, community forestry has gathered a worldwide scientific community and many programs have achieved considerable success in practical terms. Nevertheless, new trends in forest and environmental governance have introduced new challenges that community forestry must face. The objective of the conference is to share the latest scientific knowledge and expertise in community forestry around the world, and it seeks to present innovative ideas in community forestry. A major topic will be the contribution of community forestry toward overcoming current challenges, including community-based forest governance, forest-climate change, the urbanisation of forest owners, biodiversity decline, equity amongst forest users (including gender issues) and the role of community forests as sustainable energy suppliers.
Venue: Klosterkirche Remscheid-Lennep, GERMANY, http://www.klosterkirche-lennep.de
Scientific board: Arun Agrawal (USA), Bas Arts (Netherlands), Peter Cronkleton (Peru), Wolfram Dressler (Netherlands), Max Krott (Germany), Anne Larson (Peru), Melanie McDermott (USA), Hemant R. Ojha (Nepal), Bikash Rath (India), Carsten Schusser (Germany), Renate Spaeth (Germany)
Selected papers and posters are invited to contribute to the special issue of: New Challenges for Community Forestry: Sharing Scientific Knowledge in a South – North Perspective, Forest Policy and Economics 2014
Proposal for papers/posters: Authors are invited to submit their proposal by sending an extended abstract (2 pages, Times New Roman 12, single space) describing both approach and basic empirical evidence, the title of the proposed presentations, authors’ name and affiliation, and 6 keywords. Authors should propose their own keynote or select the keynote that they would like to complement with their own presentation. Alternatively, they can leave this decision to the scientific committee.
The scientific committee will assess the proposals for scientific content and their contribution to the conference's focus areas.
Proposals that arrive late or do not fulfil the formal requirements may be rejected by the committee. Selected authors will be invited either for an oral presentation or a poster presentation.
Please send abstracts to: Dr. Carsten Schusser: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for Submission: February 28, 2013, Information regarding acceptance will be distributed until April 1, 2013.
Conference fees: 450€ for three days all inclusive
Sunday evening: welcome snack and drink
Morning: Opening of the Conference
- Introduction: Johannes Remmel, Minister for Climate Protection, Environment, Agriculture, Nature Conservation and Consumer Protection (to be confirmed)
- Greeting: Beate Wilding, Mayor of Remscheid (to be confirmed)
- Keynote: Arun Agrawal, Professor, School of Natural Resources and Environment, University of Michigan: “Addressing the Challenges of Community-Based Forest Governance”
- Keynote: Melanie McDermott, Assistant Research Professor, Human Ecology, SEBS-New Brunswick: “Examining Equity - a Challenge for Community Forestry”
- Keynote: Wolfram Dressler, Associate Professor, Forest and Nature Conservation Policy Group, Wageningen University: “Misaligned intentions: Finding and fixing 'the local' in REDD+ governance”
- parallel panels, 90mins each, with the keynote presenter as the host, complementary presentations and discussions
- Poster session
- Walk and talk in the Forest
- Keynote: open
- Keynote: open
- Keynote: Carsten Schusser, Researcher and Community Forestry Working Group Coordinator, Forest and Nature Conservation Policy, Georg-August University Goettingen: “Building Alliances for Sustainable Community Forest Options”
- Poster session
- 3 parallel panels, 90mins each, with the keynote presenter as the host, complementary presentations and discussions
- Conference dinner
- Field visit: Community Forests for Urbanised Forest Owners (Wald 2.0)
- Field visit: Community for Sustainable Energy Supply and the cooperative “Energy Cooperative Lieberhausen“
Dr. Carsten Schusser
Chair of Forest- and Nature Conservation Policy and Forest History
Tel. +49 (0)551-39 19663
Cell:+49 (0)170 6876123
Fax: +49 (0)551-39 3415
Renate Späth, Referat III-3,
Forest- and Nature Conservation Policy
Ministry for Climate Protection, Environment, Agriculture, Nature Conservation and Consumer Protection NRW
Deadline: February 28, 2013