Wednesday, May 22, 2013
CALL FOR PAPERS: Special Issue of International Journal of Water Resources Development
The Special Issue is on the topic of IWRM Revisited: From concept to implementation.
The concept of Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) has been around in one form of another for at least 60 years. Especially over the past two decades, most donors and international organizations have promoted IWRM very heavily with the objective of solving the world´s water problems. While hundreds of millions of dollars have been spent to implement the IWRM concept, this has been very difficult to achieve anywhere in the world for macro- and meso-scale water policies, programmes and projects.
The special issue aims to analyze in-depth the state of implementation of the IWRM concept at local, basin, regional and national levels. Discussions will include, but not necessarily be limited to, the following topics:
- Appropriateness of the concept in the 21st century, based on lessons learned from previous decades.
- Finding ways to measure the concept in terms of its implementation success?
- Identifying the main gaps in implementation? What data, and what institutional, legal and educational aspects have proven necessary?
- Determining whether the fact that countries have included the concept in laws and regulations has made implementation easier. What have been the results so far?
- Considering whether the attention given to IWRM is preventing other alternatives from being considered? What alternatives are worth putting forward for discussion in the international arena?
- Evaluating whether the promotion of IWRM has been beneficial to efficient water resources management?
- Examining good macro- and meso-scale case studies where the concept has been successfully implemented, including analysis of the challenges faced and the enabling environment that has made it possible.
Interested authors are encouraged to submit 1-2 pages of extended abstracts to Dr. Cecilia Tortajada, Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Water Resources Development, e-mails: Cecilia.email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org, by 30 June 2013 at the latest.
Final papers for publication consideration must be received by 30 October 2013. The special issue will be published by June 2014.
For further information on the Journal, please visit http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/cijw20/current
Deadline: June 30, 2013
Links to this post: