Tuesday, August 06, 2013
CALL FOR PROPOSALS: SDC & SNSF Calls for Thematic R4D Modules "Ecosystems" and "Food Security"
The Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) and the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) have issued a joint call for proposals for the thematic research modules "Sustainable management of ecosystems for the provision of ecosystem services" and "Innovation in agricultural and food systems for food security".
The thematic research module studies how ecosystems can be used sustainably for reducing poverty and how negative environmental influences can be reduced within the context of sustainable development. The module primarily addresses the following four topics:
- The drivers of ecosystem change
- Appropriating the economic, social and environmental value of ecosystems and ecosystems services
- Ecosystems, ecosystem services and climate change
- Integrated planning and management of ecosystems
The module "Agricultural production systems and food security" investigates how global food security could be increased by improving political, economic and social conditions and by sustainably enhancing agricultural production. The module will feature research on the following three topics, in particular:
- Sustainability of agricultural and food systems, natural resources and resilience
- Agricultural innovation, extension and research into use
- Governance and policies for the future world food system
CHF 14.1 million are available for interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary projects per research module. Researchers from Switzerland and their partners from Africa, Asia and Latin America may submit their pre-proposals until 13 September 2013 via the mySNF platform. The evaluation of the proposals will be based on external reviews focusing on scientific quality and developmental issues and will be conducted by a review panel of international experts (one for each module).
Deadline: September 13, 2013
Links to this post: