Wednesday, September 04, 2013
EMPLOYMENT: Lead Researcher, Colombia Land-Use Strategy
The “Lead Researcher, Colombia Low-Emission Land-Use Strategy”, will contribute to the development of a low-emission land-use strategy in Colombia through outreach and consultation, synthesis of existing knowledge, and new analysis. Outreach and consultation will include agricultural sectors (e.g. producer federations), governments (e.g. Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of Environment; departments, municipalities, and foreign donor countries), private companies (e.g. producers, processors and buyers), and non-governmental organizations that are part of the transition. He/she will also synthesize existing knowledge of Colombian land-use and conduct new analyses necessary for strategy development. This work is part of an initiative called “Forests, Farms and Finance” that seeks to build bridges between agricultural and livestock supply chains, domestic policies & finance, and jurisdictional REDD, and includes partnerships with commodity roundtables (RSPO, Bonsucro, RTRS, GRSB), companies (Unilever) and NGOs (WWF-US, Forest Trends, Solidaridad, ProForest). Similar efforts are underway in Indonesia, Peru, Brazil and Mexico.
- Research and analyze land-use systems and the transition to “low-emission rural development” (LED-R) in Colombia
- Maintain current and thorough knowledge of relevant climate, forest and agriculture policy initiatives and processes and key scientific and technical issues
- Identify opportunities to strengthen policies and financial instruments to incentivize forest protection and sustainable agriculture in Colombia
- Represent IPAM-IP in meeting with a range of stakeholders
- Prepare and give presentations to technical and non-technical audiences, organize and coordinate meetings, workshops, and communication strategies tailored for different audiences (e.g.. private sector, government, smallholders)
- Prepare reports and publications to support the IPAM IP’s work in Colombia
- Coordinate with other organizations to develop common strategies, policies and positions aimed at furthering the goals of such partnerships within the scope of IPAM IP’s work in Colombia
- Assist in the development of grant proposals to support PAM IP’s activities in Colombia
- Maintain contact with technical staff in collaborating organizations to exchange information, share resources and engage in joint activities
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Education: Position requires master’s‐level or PhD training in environmental management, sustainability, agronomy, law, policy, or other environmental related field, or equivalent experience.
Experience: Position requires a minimum of 3 years of experience working in or living in tropical forest regions (preferably in Colombia). Experience in sustainable agriculture and climate change policy (including REDD) is required. Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including evidence of diplomatic skills in interacting with an array of stakeholders). Ability to write for technical and non-technical audiences, and the ability to work independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary team. Strong time management skills: ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks. Must be fluent in Spanish and English. Language skills in any of the following languages are highly desired: Portuguese, French, Bahasa (Indonesia).
The Amazon Environmental Research Institute, International Program (IPAM-IP) is an independent research institute, established as a 501(c)3 organization in 2010 in the US that conducts research, policy analysis, and capacity‐building in support of low-emission rural development and sustainable natural resource use in developing countries. IPAM IP was born as the international arm of IPAM (the Amazon Environmental Research Institute), a Brazilian research institute. In 2013, it will become fully independent of IPAM, taking on the new name of Earth Innovation Institute. Our goal is to support large-scale transitions to low-deforestation, low-emissions, sustainable and equitable rural development (called “LED-R”). We support regional transitions to LED-R by conducting rigorous policy and technical analyses and by leading or supporting pragmatic, multiple-stakeholder processes that engage farm sectors, businesses, government, indigenous peoples, and civil society. We work to align markets to favor jurisdictions that are succeeding in slowing deforestation and improving the livelihoods of rural communities.
Location: Bogotá, CO
Desired start date: ASAP
Duration: this position is for a full-time consultancy for the period of 12 months, with the possibility of extension
Compensation: Based on qualifications and experience
Application Instructions: Please send cover letter referencing Job# 03307CHDN, curriculum vitae, and contact information for 3 references to email@example.com. Please reference Job# 03307CHDN in the subject line of the email.
Deadline: September 15, 2013 or until filled