Wednesday, October 09, 2013
EMPLOYMENT: CIFOR Director of Governance Research
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) advances human well-being, environmental conservation, sustainable development and equity by conducting research to inform and support policies and practices that affect people, forests and landscapes. CIFOR is headquartered in Indonesia, with offices across Asia, Africa and Latin America, and is a member of the CGIAR Consortium.
The new Director will be responsible for the development, management, delivery and scientific quality of CIFOR’s engagements in governance research. This includes institutional arrangements, public and private finance, gender, legal frameworks, law enforcement, land and forest tenure reforms, collaborative forest and landscape management, and climate change — all of which will be addressed from a cross-sectoral and broad development perspective.
The Director will ensure coordination with CIFOR’s portfolios on livelihoods and environmental research as well as with relevant CGIAR Research Programs (CRPs). S/he will manage a team at HQ and supervise the scientific work of researchers globally. As a member of CIFOR’s senior management, the Director will also fulfill center-wide roles, such as managing strategic partnerships, convening conferences and representing CIFOR at key events.
- Contribute to the overall leadership of CIFOR as a member of the senior management group, including strategy development and resource mobilization and the maintenance and development of relationships with strategic partners.
- Be responsible for planning, budgeting, expenditure management, delivery and reporting for the Governance research portfolio, including delegation of budget holder responsibilities and CRP components leadership as necessary.
- Lead, manage and enhance the performance of a multidisciplinary and multicultural research team at headquarters.
- Support the scientific performance in the Governance field of CIFOR scientists and CIFOR-associated experts stationed outside headquarters.
- Lead the development of partnerships for Governance research.
- Provide strategic direction and lead the development of research methods relevant to the Governance research portfolio to be deployed across CIFOR’s priority research components, and be responsible for assuring the quality of new research initiatives and publications.
- Contribute to the management and implementation of CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry and the components and activities led and/or coordinated by CIFOR, notably those relating to the management of conservation of forest and tree resources as well as the impacts of trade and investment on forests and people.
- Identify and support progress along impact pathways to ensure the relevance of research to target policy arenas and practitioner communities.
- Foster collaboration with other CIFOR research domains, regional offices, and partner organizations.
- Represent CIFOR in relevant international forums.
Deadline: November 20, 2013