Thursday, October 03, 2013
EMPLOYMENT: CIFOR Postdoctoral Fellows, Tenure
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) currently has three job opportunities for Post Doctoral Fellows to work on tenure reform issues based in Bogor (Indonesia), Lima (Peru) and Nairobi (Kenya), as part of the CGIAR Research Programme on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (CRP6).
The Tenure Post Doctoral Fellows will be part of a core team responsible for implementing a multi-country research and action program examining the impact of forest tenure reforms in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Under the supervision of a senior scientist and a principal scientist, the three postdoctoral fellows will participate in a program that seeks to analyze the success or failure in the practice of policy and institutional innovations to provide more secure rights to forest resources, and to identify conditions under which national or local policy implementation leads to desired outcomes. The program also seeks to improve the knowledge, understanding and skills of policymakers, practitioners and forest-dependent communities for the design and implementation of forest tenure reforms, by providing them with needed information, analysis and tools. Key outputs include:
- Conceptual framework for linking forest tenure reforms and reform implementation processes for tenure security and livelihood options.
- Methods for assessment of forest tenure reform outcomes for differentiated villagers.
- Comparative analysis of factors constraining or facilitating forest tenure reform implementation.
- Tools and principles for guiding the integration and negotiation of diverse interests in complex decision situations.
The three successful candidates will be responsible for ensuring that project activities identified are implemented in a timely and effective manner in the project countries. The main project countries are Indonesia, Peru and Uganda, with additional activities in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Ecuador and Nepal. One position will be based in Bogor (Indonesia), one in Lima (Peru) and one in Nairobi (Kenya) and will involve travel within the country as well as to other target countries in each region.
Duties and responsibilities
The Post Doctoral Fellows will contribute substantially to research design, data collection and management, data analysis and production of research outputs, as well the dissemination of research findings.
Main tasks comprise the following:
- Work as part of a dynamic team on the scientific and methodological development of research in the respective country of assignment (i.e. Indonesia, Peru or Uganda).
- Research design including develop hypotheses and data collection instruments.
- Research management such as field testing data collection instruments, training partners in data collection methodologies, and stakeholder consultations to ensure the application of good practice in data collection and management.
- Data analysis and contribution to the production of peer reviewed publications (including policy and Info briefs) with internal and external collaborators.
- Dissemination of results to policy makers and practitioners, including organizing feedback workshops for local communities.
- Develop knowledge sharing programs in the respective counties to inform key stakeholders and achieve uptake of results.
- Develop and maintain a network of strategic research and policy partners in the project countries.
- Represent CIFOR at relevant meetings and events in the countries of interest and in global forums.
- Support the development and implementation of targeted capacity-building programs for stakeholders.
Deadline: October 20, 2013