Thursday, October 10, 2013
EMPLOYMENT: ICARDA Social Scientist
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is recruiting a Social Scientist for immediate availability. This position will lead research on the social aspects of agricultural research for development including gender aspects. The social scientist will support and work across ICARDA research programs and particularly within the Dryland Systems CGIAR Research Program (CRP). The Dryland Systems CRP aims to improve the livelihoods of rural communities in dry lands through reducing vulnerability of the most marginal agricultural production systems to climatic and market variations, and through sustainable intensification of agro-ecosystems with higher production potential, using an integrated agro-ecosystems approach. The social scientist will lead, facilitate and support capacity building in social science research including mainstreaming gender in all program activities.
- Provide leadership to the design and implementation of ICARDA social science research including the gender strategy and particularly lead and coordinate ICARDA’s gender component, especially as it contributes to the Dryland Systems CGIAR research program.
- Participate in designing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating research activities that include and promote social inclusion as well as gender equality and local community empowerment.
- Provide leadership and facilitate effective capacity building in social science research, consideration of gender equity and social inclusion in the activities of ICARDA, particularly those contributing to the Dryland Systems CGIAR research program.
- Build effective collaboration with partners in order to maximize potential synergies, internalize effectively lessons learnt from past programs/experiences, and disseminate evidence for influencing policy and practice.
- Facilitate cross-regional exchange of knowledge and documentation of tested and new approaches with potential for up-scaling in the area of social science research and gender integration in agricultural research.
- Publish research outputs in ISI peer-reviewed journals and other forms of publications.
- Lead and participate in fund-raising activities to support social science research and strengthen the Center’s contribution to the CGIAR research programs.
Deadline: November 10, 2013
Links to this post: