Monday, October 21, 2013
EMPLOYMENT: Namati Program Manager, Community Land Protection
Namati’s Community Land Protection Program supports communities to follow national land documentation laws to protect their customary and indigenous land claims. The Program’s goal is to proactively strengthen communities’ ability to protect, enforce, and defend their land rights. To this end, the Community Land Protection Program’s objectives are to:
- Support community land protection and documentation, so as to proactively ensure against dispossession.
- Support communities’ efforts to reclaim land and natural resource rights taken from them in the past.
- Undertake a community land protection engagement strategy that:
- Resolves longstanding land conflicts;
- Promotes active stewardship and conservation of community lands and natural resources;
- Supports communities to establish and implement mechanisms that protect the land rights of women, minorities and other vulnerable groups;
- Promotes leaders’ downward accountability to ensure good governance of community lands and natural resources;
- Increases community participation in local land and natural resource decision-making;
- Preserves and strengthens local culture and increases community capacity to plan for and actualize community-driven local development.
To achieve its objectives, the Community Land Protection Program:
- Works in partnership with national and local organizations to support community land protection efforts;
- Provides technical support and training to NGOs interested in facilitating community land protection efforts;
- Creates training and capacity-building tools and resources for use by advocates;
- Provides seed grants to support local NGOs to pilot community land protection efforts in their region;
- Rigorously researches the impacts of community land protection efforts;
- Provides technical expertise to governments in the process of drafting and implementing land legislation; and
- Works to impact global policy and practice regarding legal recognition and respect for community land and natural resource rights.
Namati’s Community Land Protection Program is recruiting a dynamic, experienced land rights, natural resource management and/or community empowerment professional to support the program to scale-up its community land and natural resource protection work globally. The Community Land Protection Program Manager will report directly to the Community Land Protection Program Director.
The Community Land Protection Program Manager will help the program to:
- Expand its in-country activities with national partner organizations;
- Strengthen Namati’s community land protection model and support its adaptation to a range of cultural and legal contexts;
- Work with national partners to build strong local leaders able to drive community land protection and environmental stewardship efforts;
- Pursue effective national land policy advocacy and global movement-building;
- Build a global database of findings concerning how to best support communities to protect their lands and natural resources;
- Create and curate a wide range of tools, guides and other resources to support community land protection advocates worldwide;
- Publish extensively on the wide variety of community land protection experiences;
- Extend provision of technical expertise to a wider representation of government agencies worldwide;
- Advocate successfully that key bilateral agencies promote community land ownership as a key driver of national growth and prosperity.
Deadline: November 20, 2013