Wednesday, November 13, 2013
FELLOWSHIP: Postdoctoral Fellow, Forests, Trees, and Agroforestry (CGIAR and IFRI/University of Michigan)
The Forests, Trees, and Agroforestry program of the CGIAR (CRP 6) and the International Forestry Resources and Institutions (IFRI) Network at the University of Michigan are jointly searching for a postdoctoral fellow for a 1- to 2-year appointment to assist in the development, enhancement, and analysis of socio-economic and forest datasets. The work of the postdoctoral fellow will contribute to comparative analyses of the links between livelihoods, food security, and tree cover from the local and site to the global and landscape scales.
The fellow will work in an interdisciplinary and multi-cultural environment under the guidance of senior researchers in CRP 6 and IFRI, and will:
- help integrate data from site-based research with publicly available global datasets on land cover, demographic changes, topography and so forth;
- participate in training and capacity-building workshops;
- be involved in discussions on comparative research and methodologies within CRP6 and IFRI; and
- work on internationally peer-reviewed and other publications and on their presentation at workshops and meetings.
- PhD in behavioral science, quantitative sociology, human geography or interdisciplinary fields such as coupled natural and human systems or environmental/ecological economics;
- Strong background in survey design, measurement theory, evaluation, index construction, qualitative data analysis, and livelihood assessment
- Familiarity with use of economic and spatial data and datasets, including panel data;
- Operating knowledge and experience with modeling techniques and econometrics, and advanced knowledge of the R statistical environment;
- Strong interpersonal communication and good personal organization skills required;
- Strong communication skills in written and spoken English; knowledge of another UN language is a plus;
We will begin reviewing applications from December 10 with the expectation to start the appointment as soon as possible in 2014.
Location of the assignment:
The selected fellow will be located at the University of Michigan and will participate in regular skype meetings with researchers in CRP6 and will be expected to travel to Nairobi/Bogor for two to three extended in-person meetings with colleagues.
The selected fellow will receive a competitive salary and benefits package based on remuneration of postdoctoral fellows at the University of Michigan, together with support for travel and participation in workshops and professional meetings.
Please send your most recent CV, names of three referees, and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org before December 10.
Deadline: December 10, 2013