Wednesday, April 09, 2014
EMPLOYMENT: ICIMOD Senior Social Scientist–Livelihoods
The International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) is a regional intergovernmental learning and knowledge sharing centre serving the eight regional member countries of the Hindu Kush Himalayan (HKH) region – Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Myanmar, Nepal, and Pakistan. ICIMOD is currently hiring for a number of positions based in Kathmandu, Nepal. They are hiring a Senior Social Scientist to work on their Livelihoods Thematic Area.
The Livelihood Thematic Area focuses on promoting diversified and sustainable livelihood options in the Hindu Kush Himalayan (HKH) region and strengthening social dimensions within the work of ICIMOD and its partners. In order to enhance the social and development relevance of its work, ICIMOD’s Strategic Framework and Mid Term Action Plan III (2013 – 2017) have provided strong direction to promote transdisciplinary work. The Centre is looking for a highly qualified Social Scientist who has sound understanding of social systems, social analytical tools, approaches, and methods and experience in integrating social dimensions into natural and biological sciences research.
Responsibilities and tasks:
- Conceptualize and operationalize social analysis and social research frameworks in the context of mountains in order to find holistic and integrated solutions;
- Provide frameworks for social analyses that can be implemented across regional programmes;
- Develop theories of change from a social science perspective for regional programmes as part of ICIMOD’s impact pathway process;
- Communicate foundational social science concepts, frameworks, and theories of change in language that is accessible to colleagues from other disciplines and that thereby promotes true transdisciplinary research approaches in the Centre;
- Look for larger social science-related research questions in the areas of ICIMOD work and means of answering them in collaboration with regional programmes;
- Write position papers on emerging issues for the Centre;
- Integrate social dimensions, i.e. equity, social inclusion, poverty, and vulnerability, into emerging environmental and developmental issues;
- Mentor young staff to strengthen their capacity in transdisciplinary research and their ability to develop innovative solutions, ideas, and frameworks;
- Strengthen rigor in social analysis by promoting and guiding both quantitative and qualitative social science research and, wherever possible, seek to deepen the practical implications and policy relevance of ICIMOD-sponsored research by combining qualitative and quantitative approaches;
- Provide inputs in project and programme development, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation in order to strengthen the social dimensions of ICIMOD's programmes and projects. Contribute to the development of the strategic plan of the Livelihoods Thematic Area by identifying potential long-term livelihood strategies that strengthen current programmes and projects;
- Train and build capacity of junior team members, partners, field researchers on social research methods and implications; and
- Reach out to social scientists in regional and global universities and research partners to strengthen ICIMOD’s current network (including the Himalayan University Consortium) and to develop opportunities to involve student researchers and their professors in longer-term collaborative field research and analysis.
Deadline: May 4, 2014
Links to this post: